Ayurvedic sages 5000 years ago, discovered how our body is linked to sun’s clock.
Our daily circadian rhythms allow us to function optimally in a dynamic world, adjusting our biology and sleep-wake cycles to meet demands imposed by our environment and lifestyle habits.
In addition to governing sleep-wake cycles, circadian clocks are integrated into all biological processes at a molecular level.
Circadian rhythms are fundamental biological imperatives, which govern every aspect of health. When challenged by environmental stressors, circadian clocks can become misaligned, affecting not just sleep patterns, but leading to wide-ranging health conditions. For example, circadian dysfunction has been associated with cardiometabolic disorders, glucose dysregulation, neuroinflammation, mood disorders and an increased risk of breast cancer.
Circadian Reboot Support
Evidence-based approaches can help improve circadian health including the timing of light exposure, and many other factors.
For example, to reset circadian rhythms we can recommend patients:
- Get as much natural morning light as possible and reduce light exposure during the evening
- Exercise, ideally during the day and not at night
- Define a sleep routine which includes relaxation and mindfulness
- Make time to step back from stressful situations and reduce pressure.
- Reduce electronic devices and stimulating surroundings, at least 30 minutes prior to bedtime
- Concentrate food intake in the first and middle parts of the day. Make lunchtime as the main meal of the day.
- Follow a wholesome food diet rich in fibre and fruits, which is known to improve overall circadian health. Try to avoid eating too much snacks during the day or night.
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine and things known to reduce sleep quality, such as alcohol.
If you want to know more about how to Reboot your Circadian rhythms and improve your health, then book your Ayurvedic Consultation now.
Looking forward to help you achieve optimum health.